The Dar was built around the 17th century, by the Aoun family, who lived in the same Dar for 300 years and were well known master artisan perfumers in the Medina. In 2006 the Dar was sold to the Ben Gacem family, which converted it into a 7room boutique hotel.
Dar Ben Gacem is located on ‘Rue du Pasha’, one of the most important alleys of the Medina of Tunis. The alley might have received its name from Dar Bacha, a building which has now been replaced by a secondary school. Dar Bacha was the seat of the Pasha, formerly the head of the county of Tunis, appointed by the Ottoman Sultan. During the early period of the Ottomans’ arrival in Tunis, from 1574 until the end of the 16th century, he held the highest political rank in the country